4.5 miles N of Menan, Idaho
Camp, Cave, Hike, Mountain Bike
The North Menan Butte is more commonly known to the locals and college students as R Mountain. Many kids know it better as Ou'R' Mountain. The butte is a rare and unique geological area and provides a great volcanic hike.
There's a paved parking lot and a vault toilet at the West trailhead. The first few hundred yards are well-maintained gravel and sand paths and the further you get, the less defined the trail gets, though it is relatively easy to find and follow. The switchback trails (South and West) are marked by sections of log fences. Towards the top of the West switchbacks, there's a chain handrail. It gets a little steep so you'll want some shoes with some grip. The sand on the rock makes it pretty slippery in the steeper parts. You'll get better grip after a good rain. Once you get up to the top, there's an informational placard. From there, it's easy to hike the rim and get an awesome view of the valley including Rexburg, Henry's Fork, and the Snake River.
It's a great hike for a small family or just a quick hike for a date. Even going up the West switchbacks and around rim, including the 'R', and back down the same way is only 3.5 miles (longest route) so you can do it pretty quick if you want. There's so much to look at that you could also spend hours climbing rocks, exploring caves, and playing around "The Ampitheater". If you just want to get to the 'R' as quickly as possible, you can do the hike in as little as 2 miles roundtrip.
- West trailhead up the face to the rim: 0.5 miles
- West trailhead up the switchbacks to the rim: 0.75 miles
- West trailhead, from reaching the rim to 'R': 1 mile
- South trailhead to the rim: 0.3 miles
- South trailhead, from reaching the rim to 'R': 0.75 mile
- Through the caldera: 0.6 miles
- Around the rim: 2 miles
- Rim to 'R': 500 feet
There are no fees. Camping is allowed up to 5 nights but fires must be in an elevated fire pan and all the ash must be packed out.
- No motorized vehicle use
- Discharging of weapons or fireworks is prohibited
- Open fires are permitted only with an approved elevated fire pan and ash removal
- Burning pallets, tires, wire, plastic, glass, metal, magnesium, or hazardous material is prohibited
- Cutting or damaging vegitation is prohibited
- 5-day camping limit